If you've got a question that isn't answered here just phone us on 01727 838 151 and we'll give you an immediate answer.

Contact us

Frequently Asked Questions

Have you got a question about hiring a vehicle? See our most frequently asked questions below. 

What 'ID' do I require to hire a vehicle?

You will need a recent Utility Bill (no older than 90 days), Bank Statement, or Council Tax Bill as well as your own Driving Licence and National Insurance number.

What payments do you accept?

We accept payment by Debit Card or Credit Card only - all major credit cards excepted.  Payment must be made in full before commencement of hire.

Do I need the 'counter part' of my Driving Licence?

No just your National Insurance no.

I have a Foreign Licence - can I hire?

Overseas licences are accepted at the discretion of the company.

Can I take your hire vehicles abroad?

Yes, subject to prior approval. Additional charges will apply and you will need extra documentation to take the vehicle outside of the UK. All vehicles will need a letter of authorisation to take the vehicle abroad.

What is the minimum age to hire?

The minimum age is 21 years for small cars and 25 years for anything else. Drivers under the age of 25 years will need to provide a £500 holding deposit on their own card. If using another person’s card, the other person will need to come into the office and pay the deposition the machine or bank transfer. If paying by bank transfer, an email will need to be sent stating the deposit will be used for any extra expenses to the hire vehicle e.g accidents, damages and fines.

What entitlement do I need to hire a Minibus?

You should have Category D1 on your Driving Licence.

What entitlement do I need to drive a 7.5ton Lorry?

You should have Category C1 on your Driving Licence.  An Operators Licence is required for business use. This is only required for business use and not a private rental.

Can I have an additional driver?

Yes you can, but we will need to see them and their Driving Licence when the vehicle is collected - there will be a small charge for this service.

What happens if the hire vehicle I have rented breaks down?

In the unlikelihood of a breakdown, the hirer is asked to contact the office immediately, which will then transfer you over to a member of staff. If you are unable to contact the office for any reason, there is an AA emergency card in a pocket on the windscreen.

Do I have to supply the fuel?

Yes, all fuel used in the hire vehicles is the hirers responsibility. You must return the vehicle with the same amount of fuel that it had in it at the start of the hire. Vehicles normally run from 1/4 to 1/4.

Can I extend the hire?

Yes, hirers must inform our staff (01727 838151), if they wish to retain a vehicle beyond the agreed time or date of return. Failure to do so may result in the hirer driving without insurance.

What happens if I have an accident in the vehicle I'm renting?

In the event of an accident, call the office immediately 24/7, otherwise your excess will double. The hirer needs to ensure they take all the details of the vehicle e.g. Registration, make and model, contact numbers, as well as many photos of the vehicles as possible.

Can I use a St Albans Car and Van Hire rental to go to the dump?

Yes. You can use all our vehicles to go to the dump, as long as you carry your rental agreement with you. Also, you will need to download a permit from the council. Every house hold is allowed 12 permits per year

Is there a cancellation policy?

We have a cancellation policy in place for any booking of our 9 seater and 17 seater minibuses only. There is a £50 deposit to be paid upon the booking of a minibus. If the booking is cancelled within 5 days of the minibus rental date, the deposit will be fully refunded. If the booking is cancelled outside of these 5 days then the charge is non-refundable.

What if I enter a London ULEZ zone?

If you enter a London ULEZ charging zone, the daily charge of £12.50 will be added to your rental charge automatically each day you enter.  Please note this is only for London ULEZ, it does not apply to the other ULEZ or clean air zones across the UK. If you enter any other clean air zones it is the drivers responsibility to pay the charges.

What happens if I enter the Congestion zone or use the Dartford crossing?

Both of these are set up on autopay, this means our vehicles alert us when you enter these areas and the respective charges are added to your hire automatically.

Loading... Updating page...